HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Touchy subject
Thread: Touchy subject
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2012, 06:05 AM
pyclub1
Fork Horn

jmartin1, I just want to say that it isn't every Native American that is doing this and I know that. I have 2 buddy's, they are brothers, they are both native American, they growing up and in high school, hated the fact that people were spearing the walleyes and doing a lot of the things they did, I completely understand the rituals and there are some that hang on to there heritage and I have no problem with them. It's the one's like the 2 brothers that I know, who now, when Ice fishing put out unlimited tip ups, because they can, started trapping a couple years ago because they can get a bunch of tags and trap just to do it, when both of them are union plumbers and make between 70-90 thousand a year and aren't doing any of this to help feed there families or make a extra income to help clothe themselves and there families. My problem lies with those who do it because they can and have no real tradition other than the fact that they are 1/32nd native American, they have no real respect for the fact that there ancestors got the privilege to do this to feed there families and survive and yes, there land was taken from them and there way of life. Seems to me that they have adapted pretty well and yet want the rights to do what they 120 years ago but use the adapted way of life to do it..