HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How can I tell if what Im hearing is a deer?
Old 11-27-2012, 02:15 PM
Cypress32
Spike

Default How can I tell if what Im hearing is a deer?

This has always bothered me when I hunt. I have bad eyesight especially at night and I guess my hearing has overcompensated. I can hear the slightest noise even 100 yards out and immediately turn my eyes to that point and eventually a few seconds later I will see a small bird hoping across the ground or a squirrel jumping onto a tree. I can easily hear deer feeding in my corn piles before sunrise even at 150 yards.

The problem is when its very dry and I can hear everything within 150 yards like its right under me. It drives me crazy. Especially when something sounds like it might be a deer walking. I will hear 2 steps, long pause, 2 steps, another pause, 3 steps, pause, etc. like a deer stopping to eat some acorns or smell the air. But then I hear it scurry up a tree dashing my hopes. Also all the deer I do see I never hear. Its like they are a bunch of ninjas. I will be texting a friend whos hunting another stand and ask if hes seen anything cause I havent and then I will look up and 4 deer in my corn pile. Or I will be playing a game and look up and see a buck and 2 does halfway out into one of my fields. Im talking no rain in 3 weeks and end of November with all the leaves on the ground and I never heard so much as one step.

So is there anyway to determine what noises have a higher chance of being a deer? About the only deer noise I know is them blowing before waving bye bye with their tail. Where I live I have never heard a grunt, grunt-wheeze, doe bleet, or fawn distress noise. Never heard 2 bucks locking antlers either. Im guessing thats why everytime I try calls they never work. I have heard something that sounded like King King coming through the woods snapping branches only to see a bobcat emerge. So is hearing a bad way to tell if you have deer close by? What noises should I pay attention to and what should I ignore?

Last edited by Cypress32; 11-27-2012 at 02:17 PM.