HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What are the odds I find him??
View Single Post
Old 11-24-2012, 03:11 PM
flyinlowe
Typical Buck

Default What are the odds I find him??

I shot a pretty decent buck tonight. It was chasing a doe at about 120 yards. I got it to stop and took the shot. I saw him buck and kick his back legs up real high. He took off and ran about 20-30 yards and stopped right on the edge of a woods. I watched him for a minute or two and then came to my senses and realized I needed to re load my muzzle loader. While I was reloading I lost sight of him. I waited about 20 minutes and decided to walk down to where I shot to check for blood. As I was walking down to were I shot I somehow spotted his horns sticking up in the weeds about 5 feet from the woods edge not 30 yards from where I shot him at. As soon as I saw the horns I pulled my gun up and watch through my scope trying to see if he was alive or not. I watched for about 10 minutes and I was only about 20 foot from him. At that point I just froze thinking that if I backed out or got closer I might spook him. I couldn't tell which way he was laying so I took one step to the right to try to see his body and he jumped up and took off. I did not push him and further as it was almost dark. There was some bright red blood in the weeds where I saw him standing but not much blood at all where he was laying at.

A guy I work with has a dog that is trained for tracking deer and he is meeting me there in the morning. I am hoping I wasted his time and the deer is found easily but I didn't want to take any chances since there was not a lot of blood where he laid down at.

The guy with the dog said lots of times he does not find a bunch of blood once they bed down. He seems to think it was hit good since it didn't run very far before it ran off, plus it let me walk to within 20 foot of him. This is the first time I have shot a buck and not recovered it right away, I won't be sleeping real good tonight.