HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Intentional Grounding team 14
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012, 05:50 PM
KSBOHUNTR
Fork Horn

My season is over. 103 1/8
Shot a doe and a buck in 5 day span. First for me.

So here goes my story.
I took the day off Wed. got to my ladder stand that morning in the NE corner of the timber. South of Timber is bean field and to the East and SE is hay right now. I seen 8 deer that morning but only 2 came by close enough to shoot but were 6 pts. My morning hunt ended around 11:30 and I went home for a bit. I left the house at 2:00 and headed back out with my climber. I decided to go to the SW corner this time and have not hunted there since 08 when i shot my 120" buck. It was a little warm after carrying all the gear and 2 cameras. I wanted to see what was coming around. I finally pick out a tree and start climbing and cutting every step up I take. After putting up cameras and cutting 50 limbs or so I'm sweating pretty good. Once I settle in I'm thinking, oh no I don't like this spot. I'm in an elbow of how the creek runs and why in the world would a deer come into this elbow with a 5 foot drop off on the creek edge. Oh well, I tell myself. I didn't like the setup when i took that doe a few days ago but it all went well. Wind is blowing out of the South and i'm just hoping to learn something from this sit, see where the deer are moving hopefully. Well after a few grunts it didn't take long and this 8 pt is working the field edge and drops off into the woods heading straight for me. He gets behind a tree at about 15 yds and I'm finally able to get pulled back and he then turns walking broad side. I get a quartering away 15 yd shot on him and he bolts like there is no tomorrow...and there wasn't. I shot him at 3:40 p.m. and took off on a 150 yd sprint. I get down a little later and take up some blood for about 150 yds and the it start to get thick. I can’t see him so I go ahead and back out and will come back with some help after he sits a bit. A buddy and my boy head at after dark to look a little more and we didn’t make it but 30 more yds before deciding to wait till morning since it’s cold out. Got out this morning a little after 8:00 and found blood right away and we went another 50 yds before finally just walking up on him. I was 10 feet away before I saw him. This junk was knee to waist high and I feared the worst but told myself I will look all day. I had to burn my last vacation day to find him but sure glad I did. I have it all on film also from by bow cam but it wasn’t loading right so for now it’s not available but as soon as I can get it to load, I will post it for anyone that wants to watch it. I'm not sure why I can't get the picture to be larger so here is what I got.