HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Are wild hogs good eating?
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2012, 04:23 AM
The Rev
Boone & Crockett

Personally I don’t eat the big boars; normally I take off the back strap and give it to the Mexicans that work for my son (they love it) to me big boars have a rank smell and taste, understand they haven’t been castrated like domestic pigs. With hogs, I've found it is best to gut it as soon as it hits the ground and take it back to camp and quarter it and put in my big ice chest and keep it there for a week changing the water and the ice until the water is clear; then I process it. Now with a smaller pig 100 pounds or less I don’t quarter up I cook them whole, and they are delicious, sometimes we cook them up at camp in a pit.
Wild hogs are like any other hog; they will eat anything that doesn’t eat them first. I’ve killed large boars and left them on the ground and the next day the only thing left the skull and some of the bones and lots of pig tracks. They eat acorns and will root for vegetation.
Feral hogs actually have less cholesterol than the chicken you buy in the grocery store. Several years ago I went on a diet consisting only of wild game and when I traveled (which at time I do spend a lot of time away from home) I would eat only grilled fish; I got down to 175 pounds, now that I have gotten away from that I’m up to 250. I will get back on this diet by the end of hunting season this year.
I actually can’t tell a lot of difference between domestic pork and wild pork other than the cuts, since I process my own, I don’t make pork chops, most of it I grind up and mix with venison and make sausage. I will take most of the butts and hams and cook them in a smoker or a crock pot.

You will not be disappointed with feral hog meat; as long as you care for it properly after the harvest.
If you look hard enough you can find hog hunts not far from you that are priced right; go on Craigslist, I've found some good deals there.