HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Team Pass Thru - #7
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2012, 06:24 AM
On_Point
Typical Buck

Well, IL opener was yesterday. I was on stand by 5:30am. Had 5 does walk in to the maple grove around 7:30 or so, but they never came in range. They browsed around at 75 yards for over an hour & then headed to bedding. About 9:10 they came back through at a full run directly into my set. I have no idea what spooked em, but I'm guessing hunters on the neighboring property. Around noon I headed to my evening set & filmed deer browsing & bedding all afternoon in a dried up back water slew. Around 6pm they started walking into me, heading into the ag field behind me. I had a group of 9 does walk directly under stand. I waited for the old grey nanny doe to walk into my lane, I drew on her undetected, I took the shot & I swear I nailed her perfectly. She barreled down the slew in the direction she was facing. The other deer scattered & after 20 minutes I climbed down, retrieved my arrow, soaked in bright red, bubbly blood. I was psyched. I packed my gear, walked it back to the truck, got the lantern & my game cart & went back to track her down. The initial blood trail was good but once she broke into the crp 50 yards away the trail went cold. I searched for an hour before calling in a friend. We searched till around 10 before I had to head home so my wife could go to work at 11pm. She should be back here shortly & I'm heading back out to search some more. Crazy first day.

Last edited by On_Point; 10-02-2012 at 10:15 AM.