HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Drop Away vs Whisker Biscuit
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2012, 05:45 AM
Nomercy448
Nontypical Buck

Whisker Biscuit = Trash.

It works well enough for guys that don't expect much from their shooting, but you don't see anyone that does much shooting using them long term, and there's a reason for that.

In my personal experience, there is absolutely no advantage to shooting a whisker biscuit over a drop away, BUT there are a LOT of disadvantages...

Besides the fact that WB's cost you speed and tear up your vanes, the biggest concern/disadvantage that I see is the duration of contact between the shooter and the arrow. WB's touch the entire arrow, rather than only the tip like a drop away rest, which means the shooter can screw up his shot at any part of his shot.

The only guys I know that have ever tried a drop-away then went back to a WB did one thing or another wrong, then blamed the rest. Maybe a guy used the wrong type of lubricant and ended up freezing his rest (most don't need lubication), or maybe a guy forgot to lock his rest "up" before drawing and rattled an arrow off of the rest. Frankly, a screw up is a screw up. If you don't seat your arrow properly into a WB, or you don't replace the bristles when it needs it, or you nock your arrow upside down (cockvane passes through stiff bristles), it'll screw you up just as bad. I know a guy that shot an arrow into the ceiling at an indoor range because he just set his arrow into the cut out of a WB, and didn't push it down into the center. Screw ups are on the shooter, not because of any given rest.

Best rest (for the money) out there right now is the QAD Ultra Rest. Full containment until release, even if you let it down, then it gets the heck out of the way and lets the arrow do its thing.