HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Flip this question
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2012, 11:21 AM
nchawkeye
Giant Nontypical

I had good luck with Shockwaves, very accurate...I too heard the stories, some said they didn't open, some said they didn't penetrate...I guess some were pushing them too fast and some too slow...I killed a couple of dozen deer with them, with a high shoulder shot they fell right now...

I got away from them because most of my shots are within 100 yards and I felt the Shockwave design lended itself to 150 yards or so...I found out a .430 Hornady XTP in 300gr in front of 80-85 grs of FFF Goex out of my Knight was plenty flat for 150 yard shots and the hollow point design assured it would open up on impact...

I've no problems with round balls, they do well for what they were intended...I suspect that like PowerBelts the fellows that have problems are using too much powder and shooting very close...The PowerBelts we had "problems" with were the 295gr hollow points and the boys just had to use 100grs of powder...I suspect if they went down to 75 grs or so they would do just fine as a woods load...But...Then you lose the tradjectory for those 150 yard shots...

This is why I feel like a hollow point pistol bullet is the best of both worlds...Even then, you can push them too fast and not be happy with the results...

If a fellow truly wants an exit every time on deer, that 300gr Barnes MZ is one of the bullets to use...I just don't need to spend that kind of money to kill these little old NC deer.....