HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Flip this question
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2012, 10:32 PM
oldsmellhound
Nontypical Buck

I'm kind of with Wabi- I have shot a pretty good variety of bullets and have used some of that variety for hunting, but there aren't any that I absolutely would not use again.

Having said that, I will quote Ecclesiastes 3:1 "For everything there is a season, a time for every activity under heaven". In other words, certain bullets are better for certain hunting seasons, and better with certain powder charges.

For example, I have used the .40 cal 200 grain XTP a fair amount, and it has done great on deer-sized game, but based on my personal experience, I would not use it again at muzzle velocities exceeding 1,900 fps. On the other hand, if I were going for coyotes, I would load it to the max and thin out the coyote population.

Similar with Powerbelts for me- they have shot very accurately for me, and I would not hesitate to use them on deer at low-to-moderate powder charges. At higher velocities, no way. But I really don't shoot Powerbelts much anymore because they are too expensive and offer limited performance.