HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - German Shorthair pup help
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2012, 07:43 AM
sean_paul87
Spike

Originally Posted by DoubleLung55
I just got a German shorthair puppy and i was wondering if anyone could help me out with a few questions.

First i was wondering if it is a good idea to get my puppy nuetered or if will affect his hunting ability?

Also i was wondering what the best first steps were to take when starting to train the dog to spell and point birds, i am getting the basic commands and yard training done now but just wanted to know where to go after the basics.

Is a shock collar a good idea for training or is there any other training aids anyone could recommend?

Thanks for any help you guys can give me

DL55
If you do get him neutered, I'd wait until he's fully grown, usually they are by the time they are one and a half. I don't think it affects their hunting ability or energy level much, except for maybe a few weeks after the operation. Those dogs are just so nuts anyways. An e-collar is a great tool SO LONG as you know how, when, and where to properly use it. I was actually able to break my dog from wanting to run after every deer he sees with the ecollar, which I never thought was possible for any hunting dog, considering their prey drive. I'd suggest reading up on the ecollar and reading excerpts from dog trainers about how to use it properly.