HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - German Shorthair pup help
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2012, 12:43 AM
Mite
Typical Buck

Get this book and read it, "How to Help Gun Dogs Train Themselves" by Joan Bailey. Disregard the part about bang pans while eating. Introduction to gun fire should come later.

I use the shock collar as a recall tool and use it very sparingly. I will initially use my normal command (whistle, voice, whatever you use) to recall. If she won't listen, the beeper is used as a warning. If the warning doesn't work, then I'll use low stimulation increasing in levels as needed. Places I use it; training in open fields and hunting fields. These are places where her safety can be jeopardized, ie. near a road, someone's property, etc. Where safety is in question, I need as close to 100% obedience as possible. I don't use it in yard training and everyday running the dog.

Before putting the collar on, the dog must know whats its for. It can really screw up your dog if used unwittingly. Shocking a dog on point or pinning a bird down may make the dog avoid birds.

Read the book then look up NAVHDA chapter. Ask 50 members and you'll get 50 different ways to train your dog - all of them being the way God intended it to be. BTW, the book is a pre-cursor to the NAVHDA book. By the time you finish the book, you should know which of the 50 ways you want to use.