HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - New archer grip question
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2012, 06:36 AM
elrotundamundo
Spike

Default New archer grip question

I am new to archery hunting this year. Not having a lot of money, I bought a used Martin Jaguar compound from a local pro shop. It came with a Cobra caliper type release. The guy there set up the draw length, sold me some carbon arrows and gave me three free sessions at his indoor range. He has been good to answer any and all questions and I am sure that I will learn more when I take his upcoming archery hunting course mandated by Idaho Fish & Game.

I really like the bow and have shot it twice so far. I found it hard to keep the arrow on the two prong rest that came with the bow, so after reading a lot of posts on this forum, I had him install a Whisker Biscuit and tune the bow. The Whisker Biscuit is dead simple and I really like how it captures the arrow and leaves one less thing to concentrate on.

I have been surprised at how well the arrows group at 20 yards most of the time(around 3 inches), but I am getting flyers often enough that I wouldn't feel comfortable shooting at an animal at that range until I can consistently keep the groups small. Having shot handguns a lot for many years, the sight alignment and trigger control skills crossover easily. What is new to me is keeping a consistent grip on the bow. I am using the grip recommended by the pro, which is to say putting my bow hand out as if making a "stop" command with my hand and letting the bow grip rest in the web of my thumb and index finger. I try to do this the same every time, but it is evident by the amount that the sight pin is visible to the left of the cables that the bow is rotated a little differently every time.

Will this problem resolve itself with practice and experience or are there some things I can do to make sure my grip is more consistent?