HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Bullet impacting high when shooting at an incline?
Old 06-22-2012, 06:14 PM
sabotloader
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by jdhaines32
I am looking for information regarding the flight of a bullet when it shot in an incline. I was shooting my CVA Optima today, and trying a different load since I was having some accuracy issues with my previous load. I was shooting 2 Triple 7 pellets and 300 gr. Hornady SSTs. I started at 50 yards, and was hitting about 2” high but grouping good left to right, so I left it there and went to 75 yards. I shot again grouping good left to right, but was about an inch higher than I was at 50 yards. I then tried it at 50 and again, good left to right, but now about 3-4 inches high. The sportsman club where I shoot has yardage out to 100 yards, but it is only flat out to about 50 yards, and then it starts into an incline. I am not sure of the degree, but I it isn’t overly steep, but enough to tell the ground is sloping in an upward direction.

Could this be causing my bullets to be impacting high at the 75 and 100 yard ranges? I was thinking and it was also suggested to me to sight it at 50 yards about 2” high and then I should be close to right on at 100, because of the bullet dropping at the father yardages, but for some reason it seems the opposite is happening. I was thinking that because the targets at 75 and 100 yards are inclined compared to the 50 yard targets, that the this would be causing it to impact higher than it actually would be if I was shooting these same yardages but on flat ground.

Does this make sense to anyone? Also can anyone give me suggestions on where to sight it in at 50 yards, that would get me closer to right on at 100 yards, because this range with incline is the only place I have access to that actually goes out to 100 yards?
This should help answer the first part of your question

Actually, at 50 yards I am most often around 2.5" - 2.75" high and at 100 I run about 2 3/4" high

Maybe I have a 100 grain ballistic sheet that might help..

I found one...

This sheet shows the trajectory using a 6" Point Blank Range system... So at a 100 yards it will not be zero... I use this to stretch my range.