HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Where does the .280 Rem pass the .270 Win?
Old 06-20-2012, 11:10 AM
Superpig
Typical Buck

Default 280 Remington

It really doesn't. Bullet diameter of .007" doesn't make a hill of beans. I've been shooting the 280 for about 20 years and reloading all that time. Also, reload for my Dad's 270 & over the chrony shooting the same weight bullets there isn't enough difference to matter. Your best best is to go with a 24" tube as I had a 26" and cut it back to 24" and lost about 40 fps running 140 gr TSX's with the same load. If you're a handloader you might try the AI but if you're not I would stay with the standard. There are quite a few 280 loads out there if you order your ammo. If you want to get it at Wal Mart you won't have alot of luck. If you shoot the AI and want factory loads you're stuck with whats available from Nosler at this point. If you want to be able to buy ammo anywhere at anytime just buy a 270 & you'll be happy & it will make little difference to any animal you shoot at. Plenty of elk, deer, moose, & other critters have been killed with a 270 & with factory ammo available with Barnes bullets it's just as effective as the 280 & this comes from a 280 lover. If I didn't handload I wouldn't buy a 280.