HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What ammunition is most popular (meaning which bullets; for any gun)?
Old 05-13-2012, 06:52 AM
Mojotex
Nontypical Buck

I would suspect that the factory produced "bullet" that is used for hunting game from vatmints up through medium game would be one of the long time players in the game such as Remington's Core-Lokt or Winchesterd Power Point. However, as Homers Brother stated, a certain answer will likely be elusive.

In my personal case ... I reload as well as use some of the factory ammo. I have hunted only medium game ... white tail, mule deer and feral hogs. I'll shoot a coyote when I see one, but do not hunt them. In my reloads .... which unfortunately covers a wide range of cartridges these days, I use the Sierra Game-King, Nosler Partition, Speer Grand Slam or Hornady SST bullets. Becuse there are so many fine factory made rounds these days, the one that I choose is dependent upon which groups the best out of the specific rifle. I lean towards so called "premium" ammo, and have had consistently excellent results from .Winchester Supreme and Federal Premium ammunition in those I have tried ... 308 Win., 300 Win. Mag. and 338 Win. Mag. I use a 444 Marlin a lot these days ... the Hornady Leverlution ammo made in this cartridge groups great out of my rifle.

So .. back to square one! Depends upon the use and the preference of the hunter. I suspect that the Rem. Core-Lokt and Winchester Power Poinr have been and are still very popular because these are economical in today's hunting ammo market and kill just fine !