HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Pistol bolts & points?
View Single Post
Old 05-05-2012, 07:24 PM
OzarkPA
Spike

Default Pistol bolts & points?

Hey all - I've recently been plinking around with an OLD barnett trident pistol crossbow that I've had for many years. I've long lost the string wax, but saw a mention here on the forum that I could use crisco on the rail / string / (serving?). I was worried about the string on the bow as it's easily 15 years old so I took it to the archery department at bass pro and the guys said that it wasn't in bad shape and didn't need replacing so wasn't sure if you just simply look for fraying or periodic replacement. Also - it's been strung for all that time, under tension, does that decrease the strength of the bow?

Recently been having coon and possum issues around the house at night (we're in the country and in the woods) - and am looking for better ammo for faster kills. I'm getting pass throughs with the standard off the shelf field target bolts that you can buy off of amazon. Wasn't sure if they sell anything that might be better for this use other than maybe grinding the tips into a wadcutter blunt tip... as I'm sure broadheads would be pretty pricey for varmint dispatch.

Thanks for any advice all!