HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Opinions on .22 Caliber rifles
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2012, 07:29 AM
cayugad
Dominant Buck

I owned a Ruger 10/22 once. That thing was the most INACCURATE rifle I ever shot. So I contacted Ruger and they had me take it to a Ruger Certified Dealer. The gunsmith there "claims" he tested it and it was fine. Now don't get me wrong, that Ruger always loaded and fired. You just could not hit anything with it. So I figured it was me and the iron sights. I then put a scope on it. Still, it would not hold a group. I tried different ammunition and still no luck. I told a friend about the rifle and actually got in an argument over it, and he offered to buy it, with even having shot it. He got a heck of a deal. Six months later when I ran into him, I asked him about his 10/22 and he said, he couldn't hit anything with it, neither could his Dad. So, he sold it. No more Ruger 10/22s for me. I do have a Ruger T22 semi auto pistol with a Bull Target Barrel. Fantastic shooting pistol. Never jams, shoots any kind of ammo, just a good gun. But that 10/22 was not a favorite for me. I own a M77 also, and it is very accurate.

I do not want a bolt action rifle. I stopped hunting squirrel basically because no one wants to eat them, and I will not kill for fun. I have a Remington Fieldmaster Pump rifle if I want an ACCURATE rifle. I want a Fun Rifle. Something to play with. I like to shoot swinging targets and gong targets in my woods. That is why the tactical rifle appeals to me.

Being a retired police officer, I have been around semi auto weapons most my adult life. I am well aware that they must be kept clean. And the tactical rifles are easy to clean. So that is not a problem. I was more interested in information reference the function of the different brands I mentioned. I love to shoot. I have my own range I love to shoot that much. And just the thought of shooting those tactical rifles appeal to me.