HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - A noticed trend
Thread: A noticed trend
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2012, 09:36 PM
cayugad
Dominant Buck

Default A noticed trend

In the high power hunting rifle department I have noticed a trend to use really, and I mean really powerful cartridges. When I was a kid, we hunted deer with a 30-30 and never had a problem killing a deer. My uncle elk hunted with a 30-30 and took a nice bull at 80 yards, and never thought twice about it.

When I booked my first elk hunt in 1985, the guide got upset when he discovered I was going to hunt with a 30-06 742 Woodsmaster Carbine made by Remington. So much so in fact, I went and purchased a Ruger M77 in 7mm mag which was kind of the real power rifle back then. The elk I shot, I could have killed with my uncles 30-30.

Do you think some people are just going to real extremes with some of these calibers. For instance the old 45/70 was a great big game cartridge, but now they have these 300, 338, and all sorts of other calibers. Are they going to these large powerhouse calibers because they feel the need to shoot that powerful of a cartridge, or is it because it stretches out their potential effective range?

Lets say your going on a moose hunt. What caliber rifle would you take? and why?