HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Defective Remingtons
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2012, 08:00 AM
Mojotex
Nontypical Buck

Probably the best treatise on the Walker-Haskell trigger design that I assume is the one being so much meligned was done by a guy named H.J. Belk. It is fairly technical, but I believe a very fair treatment of this design. The bottom line in my book is that the issue with this design has been a known for decades.

I personally own a fine shooting 1970's vintage Remington Model 700 chambered for 300 Win. Mag. that fired on release of the safety two times before I was fully aware of the cause. After the second time (I thought the first was my doing) I contacted Remington and they sent me to a Remington approved gunsmith to make the fix. It has performed flawlessly since that repair was made some 30 years ago.

By far the number one issue in this whole deal ... and I have watched the TV shows that badgered Remington .... is that handling a fire-arm in a safe manner at all times is a must. In my book, a fire arm is nothing more than a machine designed to fire a projectile out the end of a "tube". And no machine that I know of is going to be flawless in either design or in performance .... and no machine is idiot proof.