HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Defective Remingtons
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2012, 07:00 AM
Topgun 3006
Giant Nontypical

I'm not talking about NBC, media hype, or any of the other **** that you guys keep saying is being done to rip Remington. Yes, Walker designed that trigger decades ago and shortly after it went into production he was advised of some problems that were occurring, investigated them and found out the mechanism he had designed had flaws. He redid the design and asked Remington to change and start producing their firearms at that time with that change and it would have cost them pennies per firearm. The top brass declined, but they did issue several minor recalls regarding the defect, but they were not widely publicized so that people with those firearms could have them taken care of.
Over the years they have continued to sell millions of firearms with that trigger mechanism and just in the last few years finally changed out the 700 series to a new design, but have kept the Walker trigger in their cheap 770 series to save money and compete with Savage and some of the other companies on entry level rifles. That, IMO, really makes no sense when people with very little experience in gun handling may purchase a rifle with an inherent flaw in the trigger. This isn't about making sure the rifle isn't pointed at anyone at any time, as that's a given with anyone who is, or has been, around firearms.
It's a fact that that trigger mechanism has caused thousands of rifles that have had no adjustments or anything else done to them to fire without the trigger being touched. Unfortunately a few were pointed in the wrong direction when that happened and the result has been some dead people. The one lady mentioned that killed her son was on one side of a trailer and the boy was on the other side completely out of sight when her gun went off. I would venture to say that could have happened to anyone out there. There is no way that any of us haven't pointed a gun at some object where it wouldn't do any harm like that out in the field. If the gun went off, what if the gun was even pointed at the ground and the bullet struck a rock and richocheted into and killed a person it wasn't pointed at.
I do apologize to the one member who has shot as much as he has stated. That is one person out of millions who would have shot even a fraction of that amount, but it would seem like a person that shoots that often would really want to investigate and find out that what I have mentioned is fact that is backed up by the designer himself.
Incidentally, I haven't watched one single second of film on NBC or anywhere else regarding this subject. All my comments have been based on facts and documents that were introduced into evidence in various court cases brought about against Remington on this issue. I wish now that I had C/Pd them into a folder and saved them because it took many hours doing that and I'm not about to start over when I don't even own one of their products. Also, I'm not a kid. I'll be 65 in a couple months and started handling guns, shooting, and hunting when I was five years old. Have a good weekend gentlemen and if you do nothing else this weekend, please read this unbiased article done by a gunsmith. This gives a perfect explanation of what I'm trying to convince people about and this guy is qualified as an expert:

http://gunsmiths.com/articledetail.php?id=87 [url]

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 04-14-2012 at 07:54 AM.