HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Defective Remingtons
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2012, 03:50 PM
Topgun 3006
Giant Nontypical

Yep, it's been ongoing ever since Mike Walker, who worked for them, engineered the trigger and found out they needed minor work to eliminate the problem. The Remington executives hashed it over and decided it would be cheaper to settle lawsuits as they came up than to spend money (a few cents per gun at the time) to correct the problem. They have been involved in numerous lawsuits and given millions of dollars to litigants that had a discharge when the trigger was not touched, reworked, etc. Poor cleaning procedures also exacerbates the problem. I have read of numerous people on many hunting websites that have had it happen and thankfully the gun was pointed in a safe direction when it went off. At least 20 people have died when the rifles weren't pointed in a safe direction when they went off. Remington finally changed the trigger design a few years ago to one that Walker wanted several decades or more ago, but have continued to put them in their cheap 770 series, which is unbelievable IMO. I hope a bunch don't get on this thread praising their 700s and saying they've never had it happen to them because it just might the next time they handle them. That's the bad deal with the problem because it can't be replicated, there is no way to know when it will occur, and no way to prevent it other than replacing it with an aftermarket trigger, which I would suggest everyone that has one that was made more than 5 or 6 years ago do ASAP.