HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Going Back To Aluminum
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2012, 12:32 PM
2robinhood
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by MUZZY 100
What ?? you have an issue with you bow .there's no way a aluminum arrow will penetrate more that a carbon with a bow that is properly tuned
Aluminum arrows generally weigh more then carbon arrows.
A heavier arrow will penetrate more, but does loose fps which will make it loose some penetration.
Usually you don't loose enough fps with an aluminum arrow to make less penetration.
If so, the arrow would have to weigh a ton.

A carbon arrow weighing 375 grains going 325 fps has 87.97 pounds of kinetic energy.

A aluminum arrow weighing 430 grains going 280 fps has 74.88 pounds of kinetic energy.

Sure there is less kinetic energy, but the heavier aluminum arrow is carrying more mass ( 55 grains more ) and will penetrate deeper down range.

Mass in motion wants to stay in motion.

Think of it this way,
A football player weighing 225lbs coming at you at 15mph or a 375lbs player coming at you at 10mph which do you think will hit you harder ?
The heavier player is coming slower, but is carrying more mass.
More mass is harder to stop, and with that heavier mass concentrated in the same area size ( arrow tip ) it will go deeper.

Don't get me wrong, I use carbon arrows ( Goldtip Velocity XT's ) and I love the fps, but there are guys killing animals with traditional archery that are below 200fps.

So as far as what penetrates deeper, carbon or aluminum ?
It the one that weighs more.
A heavier carbon arrow will penetrate deeper then a light aluminum arrow.

Sorry that was so long, I was on a roll.

Last edited by 2robinhood; 03-30-2012 at 12:41 PM.