HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Best Elk Cartridge for hunting in Montana or Colorado?
Old 03-19-2012, 06:24 PM
Montana2008
Spike

Default Montana cartridges

I have found that the .30-06 with 180grain gamekings has done everything I have ever asked it to do here in Montana. It has killed deer and elk with authority out to 300 yards. HOWEVER...I handload and have taken alot of time working up a load for my rifle and have spent the time to practice at the long ranges that are often required out here. Another good choice is the 7mm Rem. Mag. Ammo in a variety of bullet weights and varieties is easily found. I also handload for this cartidge and have found it to be an incredibly accurate and powerful round. I think in the end the thing that truly matters WAY beyond cartidge or rifle choice is shot placement. The power of a cartridge or the construction of a bullet will SOMETIMES make up for poor shot placement. Excellent shot placement almost always makes up for a lack there of in the realm of reason. Choose a decent medium caliber (.27-.30) and shoot it well and you will be fine. I know alot of guys who swear by the .22-250 for deer out here...not my choice for a good caliber...but I know they eat alot of venison anyhow.