HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Turkey in heavily wooded areas
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2012, 08:31 AM
scottcw
Spike

Default Turkey in heavily wooded areas

Hello all. I am relatively new here to this forum and also to turkey hunting.

I have been an outdoor enthusiest for many years. I hike in the Shawnee State Forest of Ohio very often. A few years ago I remember it getting late and the sun was down and it was almost dark outside. I had been on a long hike with my son that day and almost back to the car. We heard something flying through the trees and making loud crashing noises. I recorded the noises on my camcorder. A friend of mine told me that the noises were turkey returning to the roost. Sure enough that is exaclty what I had heard because I looked it up on youtube and found the same noises.

Here it is a couple of years later. I am going turkey hunting for the first time in my life. I drove to the Shawnee forest yesterday and scouted around the area where I heard the turkey roosting. The area is dense forest and very hilly. There are NO flat places for at least a couple of miles in any direction. This is right smack in the middle of heavy forest.

Would it be possible that turkey should be in this area? It is at the top of a huge hill and is dense forest. Not really any farms or fields anywhere around.

Are the turkey found in dense tree cover forest for the spring turkey season? Would they have anything to eat in the forest? I am not sure if I am wasting my time trying to hunt this area. While I was scouting yesterday, I found no signs of turkey footprints, turkey scat, or feathers. Lots of trees are available to roost in. I wonder if turkey will fly for a few miles from a farm field to roost in a dense forest?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Scott