HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - H&R Slug Gun vs. Marlin 512 Slugmaster
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2012, 06:27 AM
Catbird
Spike

I happen to own both an H&R UltraSlug and a Marlin 512. Both of these are good guns but from an accuracy perspective, I would go with the H&R UltraSlug every time. I inherited the Marlin some time ago when my uncle passed away so I am keeping it for sentimental reasons.

The H&R seems to prefer slower sabot slugs like the 2 3/4" Federal Barnes Expander, or the 2 3/4" Lightfield EXP slugs, and the Remington 2 3/4" Copper Solid sabot slugs. The key is to try all three to determine which groups best and then sight your gun and scope with the best grouping slug of the three.

Put good glass on your H&R and you won't regret picking it over any other. These guns are the most accurate slug guns I've ever seen and I have owned seven different designated slug guns in my life. I bought a used Tar-Hunt from a hunting buddy about a year ago (he lost his job of 23 years and was unable to find a job for over two years). While the Tar-Hunt is very accurate, it is no better than the H&R UltraSlug . . . just more expensive. I honestly feel that the H&R UltraSlug is the single most underpriced slug gun on the market today. The trick is to find which sabot slug it prefers and put good glass on it . . . something like the Nikon Slughunter scope (which was designed and made for slug guns). You won't be sorry!

I would also recommend the 12ga. over the 20ga. It will give more flexibility to all around use (deer, bear, Elk, Moose) and you never know when opportunity will knock. I used my 12 Ga. UltraSlug to take a 365 lb. bear in New Brunswick two years ago and am planning to try it on an upcoming moose hunt in 2012.

Last edited by Catbird; 03-01-2012 at 06:33 AM.