HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - N Florida turkey trouble
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2012, 10:14 AM
deerbandit09
Spike

Default N Florida turkey trouble

I am new to turkey hunting. I went with a freind last year, we herd some birds but Ive never got one to close the distance. So heres my question.

1. I hunt 6000 acres in north florida, very little pressure on turkeys, however i havent had one single shock gobble, and during last spring couldnt get anything to talk back. am i just that horrible at calling or is it issue due to bears/cyotes which are both plentiful in the area.

I have bought a few different varieties of calls, mouth, slates, boxes, non of which seem to have effects. There are turkeys in the area, we see plenty of hens when scouting, and even seen gobblers when deer hunting in the fall. theres a healthy mix of hardwood heads, tall pine short pines and a new clearcut about 300 acres. there are food plots which vary from 800 yard lanes to 1-2 arce openings. they are planted in rye in the winter and millet and peas in the late summer.

2. what do the birds like to be in when mating, ive herd they prefer to be in/around the hardwoods when roosting but do they like the tall pines which are relatively open underneath or the short thick stuff?