HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 30 Remington AR Results?
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2012, 05:55 PM
Bob L Swagger
Spike

Originally Posted by salukipv1
I see little reason to get a .30 remington AR, recently read an article a guy built a NULA lightweight 4lb bolt rifle in that caliber, as a close range hunting rifle, under 200yds or such.

personally I'd get a 308win, or 300 aac blackout which savage now chambers.

You're right.. .69 MOA out of a factory "Hunting" AR with factory ammo is little reason to buy one.. Humm.. The .30 RAR is pushing a 125 gr. bullet at a rate of 2800 fps. @ the muzzle with 2176 FLBS thus making it more than sufficient to harvest deer sized game. It has proven itself many times over since its introduction in 2009 on black bears, whitetails, pronghorns, wild boar and even elk. Keep in mind this is done out of a light weight AR-15 platform rifle. It definitely out performs the 300 AAC Blackout's 2230 fps. and 1381 FLBS.

In my opinion the 300 AAC Blackout has use in the tactical market for its intended use as a short range, suppressed .30 cal. I wouldn't be confident taking a shot on a large northern tier NY buck with this rifle past 50 yards.

The .308 Winchester is in a totally different class all together. It is an excellent caliber and has been utilized for many years to successfully harvest every kind of game. However it has a draw back.. Have you every carried an AR-10 all day? I have.. I have a few of them.. Not very fun to carry around the woods. In order to use the .308 Winchester in an AR platform it has to be on the heavier, bulkier AR-10 or LR platform. This is where the .30 RAR is superior to the .308 win.