HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - .45 cal 1:20" twist load suggestions
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2012, 03:43 AM
JoeRE
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by builder459
What bullets and sabots have you tested in the rifle?
I have shot 200 gr SSTs and 180 XTPs in it. I think there was one or two others but I cant remember what, its been over a year since I picked that gun up.

The sabots were whatever came with the above bullets, I haven't experimented with sabots in the gun. They got 4" groups with 100 grains of 777, Pyrodex, and American Pioneer but the groups were bigger at 110 grains and doubled in size at 120 grains.

One thing was better actually - I could hold 223 grain platinum powerbelts in the 3" range with 100 grains of American Pioneer. I never tried heavier (longer, higher BC) powerbelts and maybe I should.

Those results are not promising I know, the SSTs have higher BC than the powerbelts but shot worse...

I never tried less than 100 grains of power in that gun...maybe I need to.

I have my eye on the .358 FXTs with MMP 35/45 sabots so I find the results you posted in those threads interesting Sabotloader...I am impressed with the velocities posted and accuracy before the sabots apparently failed with 120 grains of BH.

I have not tried BH in the gun yet...

I know the Lehigh's/bloodlines have a lot of potential but am a little hesitant buying them at the price given I don't know how well they will shoot, if I KNEW they would be accurate (1.5" or so for this gun I think) I would definitely get them. I would rather experiment with cheaper rounds first anyway...