HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Obsessive Compulsive Disorder in dogs
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2012, 10:35 PM
Mite
Typical Buck

Default Obsessive Compulsive Disorder in dogs

I try to be observant but this one caught me by surprise. I believe my dog has developed OCD. In my apartment complex, I live in an south end unit. Had earlier neighbors who owned dogs and she would have no problems running into their house. They moved awhile ago so now she's had no reason to go in that direction. I made nothing about it as we always went the other direction to get to the lawn and car. But with new neighbors and a new dog, I tried getting her to go 'woo'ing the neighbors; but she won't go past more than three feet in that direction. Weird. We have to encourage her; treats, push, etc.

Going to the lawn, she has to head to the car then go to the last parking space, go around the perimeter, then go into the lawn. I've only recently noticed this.

I can live with this considering I would probably have to change my routines. But it has got me wondering what can trigger such behavior. Could doing the same safe routine develop OCD in dogs?

It also has me thinking (often bad) concerning training. When yard training, I've always demanded the dog be standing on my left when say 'here'. In the field when running 20 yards out and gets lost, 'here' means come to me so I can see you. She pops out of the grass, reassures me, then I let her go to run again. Two different demands for the same command; yet, in the field, I see everyone doing this. Its no wonder I have to reinforce OB training. but wondering what other inconsistencies have I not noticed?