HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - New to food plots. Have some question on planting process.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:27 AM
psandhu
Typical Buck

I was in your same situation about 15 years ago. You really need a 2 or 3 bottom plow. Trying to disk unworked ground is going to be futile. A 35 horse tractor can easily pull a 2 bottom plow. You might borrow the plow for the initial tillage. In subsequent years, you might be OK with just the disk.

Last month was the time to apply lime, although this week is not too late. I have rented the big fertilizer spreaders (ground drives the conveyor, pto drives the impellor) and had 2 tons of lime put in. One person drives the tractor and another sits in the spreader with a shovel and feeds it out the conveyor chute. The lime tends to bridge over the conveyer, so someone has to work it. A second method to apply lime (or winter wheat) is to get a ton or so in the back of a pickup. One person drives and another blows it out the back with a leaf blower.

MO and the other name brands are a waste of money i.m.o. Get ag seed at the co-op. While you are at it, get you're RUP license from the extension office. It's an open book test, but I suggest reading the book cover to cover before taking the test.

You'll also need some sort of sprayer. I built one from a 10' piece of PVC, a 15 gallon electric sprayer, sprayer fittings and hose. I had the 15 gallon tank, the other parts were about $75. I welded a cradle together to hold the tank and boom, and adapted the cradle to fit a 3 point hitch.

Check craigslist and eBay on a regular basis. It's where I've picked up my 2 row planter, 2nd tractor, aerater, ATV, skid steer, outboard, jon boat, and even some seed.