HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Help Kansas get the use of tracking dogs for recovering game legalized
Old 02-05-2012, 06:21 PM
wildlands
Fork Horn

Doc do some research. Most states require the dog to be on leash not running the deer as you say. In Ga you are allowed to work a dog of lead but I choose not to. I like to have control of my dog just in case the animal crosses over onto someone elses property. A well trained tracking dog learns to track an individual animal even within a heard. In most states you are only allowed to track on the property you have permission to hunt on and must get permission to go onto anothers property to track. A few states allow the hunter to carry a weapon while tracking, while some forbid it all together. We are allowed to carry a weapon and am graitful as we usually track 3-4 deer a year that are still alive when we find it. There have been very few if any problems with trackers and tracking dogs in the states where it has been allowed.

Are there going to be people that break the law sure, just like know there are poachers and law breakers in every state that call themselves hunters. You and I know they are nothing more than a thief. But you do not punish the real hunters just because of a few bad apples.

You say the deer are under a lot of other presasure I can agree to that. But think of it this way. You get one tag, hunter goes out and wounds a buck but does not recover it. Goes out and hunts again and this time goes home with his buck. He has now infact shot and most likely killed 2 bucks. Which is taking away from the opportunity of other hunters. With a tracking dog that first buck might have been recovered and the hunter would only have taken one buck.

For those that have never had the opportunity to witness what a tracking dog can do or need more info all I ask is do some research before making up your mind. You will find that Tracking dogs for recovering game is an excellent resource that all hunters should have access too.

Thanks
Ken