HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - thoughts on making a sugar block for deer
Old 02-05-2012, 07:04 AM
GTOHunter
Nontypical Buck

I would simply put out some different mineral like Luck Buck that will help in Antler Growth and pour some Buck Jam on stumps to attract Deer,by the time You put all the time and energy into making a big old Sugar Block than realize the Deer would rather simply get the salt and mineral from out of the ground and dirt.

I put out simple salt blocks and let them disolve into the ground or on top of old tree stumps,their cheap,last a long time and really draw the Deer year round...another thing I use is an Arm & Hammer Salt Lick Recipe that works great and is also used year round.

Arm & Hammer Salt Lick

1 or 2 Boxes of Arm and Hammer Super Washing Soda
40 lb box of Rock Salt or even Water Softener Pelts/Salt
A Shovel or hand Hoe

You find a good spot in the woods where the Deer feel secure and safe and dig up a spot in the ground in a 3X3 or 4X4 circle breaking up the ground as fine as You can.Take a box of the Arm & Hammer SWS and spread 1/2 of it on the dirt mixing it in with the shovel,then take around 20lbs of the salt and spread it on the dirt and top it off with the rest of the A & H SWS.We usually put a little corn or some type of grain to attract the Deer to the spot so they find the A&H salt lick if allowed in Your State?

You can refresh the salt lick every few months or as need,once You get a few good rains the ingredients will mix into the ground and the Deer will hit it at their convience,we have also added a little mineral (Lucky Buck) to the licks to enhance them.There's something in the A&H Super Washing Soda that draws the Deer in more and enhances the salt to be even more desireable?

Last edited by GTOHunter; 02-05-2012 at 07:07 AM.