HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Hunting the big bird in South Texas
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2012, 01:36 PM
superstrutter
Nontypical Buck

Early, I hunt Texas every season. It will be different than what you are used to. The terrain will be like night and day from what you are used to. Not as many places to hide. Rios are easier to call than Easterns, but they can still be difficult when they are with hens or are pressured. It doesn't look like you will have the pressured problem. Their gobble is a little higher pitched than an Eastern, and they usually gobble more on the ground than an Eastern. I believe just about any camo pattern will be fine, as long as you are still. I prefer to wear Nat Gear. Journeyman is right about the brush. Just about everything will stick you. He is also right about snakes. Not just rattlers, but also copperheads. I sat on a copperhead last year while hunting in Texas. I got lucky. Do be cautious. South Texas is a neat place to hunt. You will see things you have never seen before. If your at the right place, you will see an abundance of wildlife. I turkey, deer, and duck hunt in Louisiana, but I love turkey hunting in Texas also, especially in south Texas. You can basically use the same methods and calls you use up north. There are plenty of owls in Texas, so it will be fine to use an owl call as a locator. I'll be going to south Texas again this Spring. You will have a blast hunting there. Any more questions, just ask. BTW, where will you be hunting?