HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Hevi shot reviews
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2012, 08:21 AM
Bible_Man
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
never used heavy shot, found a combination that works very well in not 1 but 2 turkey guns.
RR
What combo you working with, RR? I always had my best patterns and performance with Remington Wingmaster HD #6's and a jellyhead choke out of my old 870. This past season I went to a Mossberg 835 Ultimag with a 20" barrel...got tired of hanging every limb in the woods. My jellyhead choke for it patterns better than the factory one, but it isn't quite as good as the 870 was. I have tried the Wingmaster HD's, the Winchester Extended Range jokers, Remington Nitro, Hevi #7, Hevi #6 and Hevi #5/6/7 blend. Some, but little difference in ANY of them, other than the Winchester ER...they didn't perform as well as I had expected. They were the second best patterning load in my 870 (barely better than Hevi #6).

Wow...this got a bit long. I plan to do some extensive patterning tests in the coming weeks, so if you have something that works for you, let me know please...I know that doesn't mean it would work for me, but ain't gonna hurt anything to try it out!