HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - New to reloading... have some ?'s
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2012, 06:35 AM
homers brother
Nontypical Buck

As long as you're attempting to "fine-tune" your ammunition, consider the other variables that may be affecting your primary metric of "group size":

- Are you testing them from a bench? If not, "minute-of-coyote" is about the lowest unit of measurement you're going to get comparing one load to another.

- At what ranges are you shooting coyotes at? If you're shooting at 300 yards and your rifle's grouping at 1 MOA or less, you shouldn't have problems downing a coyote.

- Most shooters would be better-served by paying less attention to the minute details of their ammunition and spending more time shooting instead. The first step to optimizing rifle performance through reloading is making sure the instrument (the shooter) is properly calibrated.

Varget works well in my .223s, .22-250, .243s, and .308. I've also reloaded .243 with IMR4350. I generally don't prefer bullets of less than 75 gr. If you're not concerned with pelt damage, I wouldn't hesitate using a 100 gr bullet. Check the BC of the 60 gr and compare it to 75 and 100. Keep your options open.