HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How important are antlers to you?
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2012, 07:25 AM
redgreen
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by nchawkeye
I grew up hunting and eating game...I've hunted over 45 years and have killed over 300 deer...I could care less about antlers as well, after you have a few dozen what are you going to do with them???

I love to cook and kill several does each year, I'll kill a buck if it's a nice one for my area but I usually pass as well...Since we have several farms and need to control the population we need more does killed than bucks anyway...Through the years I've put other members of my family or friends on the bucks that I've passed on and see that it means so much more to them than me that I prefer to let them have them...

I guess some folks like to brag about the big bucks they've killed as it makes them feel good...I've never looked at hunting as a reason to go into the woods to collect antlers but to bring back food...I believe that's why early man started hunting so I'm staying with my roots...The time alone to reflect and think, being outdoors and seeing what God created is payback enough for me even if I don't see deer...I thank Him for each and every hunt...
X2 Well said! Saves me a bunch of hunting and pecking on the keyboard.