HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Hunting Methods Treestands or Ground Blinds
Old 01-03-2012, 04:37 AM
Valentine
Nontypical Buck

Default Do what fits you

I've used a climbing tree stand for some twenty years, but I plan to use a ground blind, for part of the time, in the future. And remember, not every hunter is a tree climber.

Tree stands are good, but they limit your moving around. Unfortunately, if the leaves are on the tree (limits hunter visibility) and if it's warm, the deer can scent the hunter, long before the hunter sees the deer.

I use to love to move around. Next season, I'll use a blind, which is much lighter, to move around, hunting and scouting at the same time. I shouldn't think much of moving my site after an hour. You do, even with a moveable climbing tree stand.

This coming season, I expect to hunt in a colder climate. I'm going to carry along a blind. It will not only offer concealment on the ground, I'll be out of the weather and a little wind. The last thing I would do is climb a tree in sub-zero weather. (Did enough of that climbing oil storage tanks)