HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - New coyote hunter (advice)
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2011, 04:46 PM
Nomercy448
Nontypical Buck

Sheridan's post is top notch.

To add to, and/or reiterate...

Low turkey seat stools, or at least "butt-pads" are critical. If you're squirming because you're uncomfortable or cold on the ground, you're not going to knock down a dog. You need to stay low to the ground though, no full-seats/chairs.

Your sets should be designed to call from downwind of where you WANT them to come, but then still have plenty of room to see them if they come in from downwind of you.

I take a shotgun as a backup for all of my sets. I lay the shotty pointing behind me so if one DOES come in the back way, I don't have to swing all the way around.

Be pretty deliberate about where you're going to your sets. It's almost impossible to hide your scent as you're traveling (i.e. you WILL lay a scent trail). Some guys spray deer urine on their feet to act as a cover scent, personally, I just try to plan my approaches such that they won't cross my trail, or at least not before I'd see them.

Don't spend all day on a single set. If a dog doesn't come after 30min, he's not coming. Cut the call, give it 5-10min to cool, then move on to a different set. (Since you're hunting ONE property here, it might not be applicable).

Personally, the ONLY calls I rely on are cottontail distress and rodent distress calls. Howlers, fawn distress, bird distress, etc etc can all work, but often are more effective, or less, during different times of year.

Tape a mouse squeaker to the forend of your rifle. Once you spot the dogs, cut off your call. Having the squeaker at quick access lets you entice the dogs just a little closer, or stop a trotting dog to give yourself a shot.

Use a bipod or shooting sticks. No question, you will WANT support.

Honestly, in your shoes, I'd probably be hanging snares and laying traps in addition to calling. Calling can be incredibly effective, but you can't call every day.