HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Enough with the deer hunting shows.
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2011, 06:42 AM
Champlain Islander
Dominant Buck

I rarely will watch one since I know many are taking place in canned hunting preserves. The power of the camera can cover up the obvious and I just can't get past it. Most of the scenarios on these shows aren't realistic to what the average hunter ever sees. Some fortunate people hunting in big deer states like Illinois can experience some of that in the rut but many people, myself included rarely get as much action as these TV guys. I know some like Stan Potts are really dedicated hunters and the films are just a culmination of their hunting lives but many today are just people with a video camera in a deer farm. I know in some of the areas like in Ohio where I have hunted, Buckmasters, Real Tree or some other large national hunting company buys up leases and drives the prices way up. I suppose it is just business for them and they recover the money spend promoting their products but it takes the average hunter out of the mix.

Bottom line is I just can't condone hunting behind a fence and fair chase should be the only thing associated with real hunting.