HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - whitetail tips
Thread: whitetail tips
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2011, 10:05 AM
Ghost of the hardwoods
Spike

I was fortunate to learn a bunch of skills from an OL' time hunter. One of the most important things that I can recall him saying to me (ALL THE TIME) was..... " You might be able to fool their eyes, you might be able to fool their ears, but you will have a heck of a time fooling their nose." With that being said, playing the wind and using it's direction to your advantage coupled with good scent elimination/ control practices is a very important habit to consider when hunting Whitetails. Although ( at least from what I believe or have experienced in the woods for my self) Total scent elimination is "near" impossible. Even with some of the best and more modern technology for sprays and clothing accessories. You can wash all your hunting clothes in detergent that eliminates scent, you can take a shower with scent blocking shampoo and soap, you can spray all your clothes and boots down again at your truck before you go into the woods. But one thing is certain, you are probably going to sweat ( at some level or another ) on your way to the stand, and even sitting in your stand through out the day. You will NEVER be totally scent free! With this in mind, I STILL practice the use of scent elimination and control and make my own scent soaps, shampoos, detergent. I even make my own cover scents as well. I still believe it is better to try to limit our scent as much as we can and hunt with the wind in our favor (as much as we can help it) I just think that we spend a ton of money each season on sprays and scents that totally don't mask all of our scent that I have adopted to making "most" of my own ( and they work quite well ) I still do buy certain products that I have always liked from the sporting good supply. I don't make all of my sprays or scents. Just try to save as much money as i can here and there.