HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Team 1 Returning Champions Thread
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2011, 03:02 PM
hammerman
Typical Buck

I thought I had posted this here but I guess I only put my update on the other site, sorry for not updating on what's going on with my season. Here it goes.

Well guys this has been the year of coulda , shoulda, woulda! I haven't posted much because i've been extremely frustrated. Since I started hunting this farm 5yrs ago I've taken 2 bucks roughly 110" and one roughly 120". I decided this was the year to hold out for a bigger buck. I've had some nice one's on camera & seen some in the distance that would go 130"-150". I've passed several that would go 120", out of frustration a week ago I shot at a really nice racked 8pt that was 120" but shot over his back @ 25yds which only added to my frustration.

Friday I went out & went to an area with my climber that I've only been in twice. I found a tree that I started to climb but changed my mind & moved 30yds further up the ridge. I got settled in & 10min later I see a 130"buck 50yds away and he walked 20yds west of the tree that I almost climbed. About noon I was going to leave & drove thru the farm to check stands & spotted a buck bedded down on a ridge over looking the pasture I watched him for 20min. He was 175yds away & We had strong winds so I decided to put a stalk on him. We had a SW wind & I circled around to east & started my stalk thru some nasty briars about 3' tall. It took me 1 1/2hrs to get 25yds from him, he had no clue I was in his area. I needed 3yds more to have a clear shot. The wind gusted & I made my move but without me knowing another deer had come in behind me & when I moved it blew twice & ran away. That made the buck look my direction so I just dropped to my knees with some thick brush between
us. We had a stare down for 20-30min, so long that I couldn't feel my feet for the blood getting cut off fro kneeling so long.
Finally he had enough & stood up to leave. I stood & came to full draw at the same time but he turned away from me with only his rear facing me. He trotted off leaving me very frustrated but feeling somewhat accomplished just for getting that close to him.
no one on the farm has ever seen this buck. He's a very BIG 6pt, I've never wanted a 6pt so bad since I started hunting 12yrs ago. This is the biggest body buck I've ever seen and one of the tallest racks I've seen on the farm.
Here's a couple of pics, one I took thru my binoculars when I first spotted him & the other is of the tips of his rack where he was bedded when I was at 25yds from him.

The pics don't do him justice, he was about 18" wide & brows about 5-6" & G2's about 10" tall. He was just a cool looking buck & I think he was just old. Oh well sorry I haven't contributed a buck YET! Still lots of time left in the season.
Attached Images