HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Frustration, need some advice!
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2011, 11:08 AM
hardwoodhank
Spike

Yesterday was perfect for getting in the woods (illegal to hunt Sundays in VA) but the wind was whipping 20 plus and in my face from my approach to where he has been bedding. I got my climber attached to a straight poplar tree about 50 yrds from where his territory is vividly marked. Tomorrow its supposed to rain so I will be a half mile away in blind with decoy but I may wait until Thursday to Saturday to climb the tree and sit from about 5:00 am to 5:00pm because besides him, there is evidence of heavy travel on this trail that leads to the cedars where he has been marking his area.

I have had nothing BUT luck with my rattling! I actually rattled in my last 2 bucks (a 9 and 8 pt). I dont stand up and wing it out in the open and make alot of motion when doing so, but start of in segments of 3 times, each one just a little harder and louder. Last one I shot was directly underneath me 2 minutes after my last rattle heading for a tinks wick. I rattled another in Saturday but something hung him up in the edge of field. He tried to get downwind and lost him.

I will try anything, even throw out the kitchen sink if it has worked in the past, so I guess each is his own, but I will get this guy one way or another. He's the only deer Im pursuing at this point due to seeing his neck of the woods.

Another thing is I have never seen the rut so messed up. I have been archery hunting since October and muzzleloader since the 5th and havent seen a doe yet! I have once smelled a doe in estrus passing in the woods but never saw her or anything chasing her. Its been a wierd rut this year!