HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Hornady SST 1 hangfire, 2 misfires?
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2011, 08:03 PM
uncle matt
Giant Nontypical

Those who know me know I have more than a few H&R single shots and 4 USHs. I bought my first USH when released in 1995(?6) and all of my USHs have been shot extensively so yes, I have experienced some misfires.

I will say that the ammo that I experienced the most misfires from was Remington. Both sluggers I use for light target practice and BuckHammers too.

The primer indentations were faint.

What did I learn from this?

First is that single shots are the often overlooked in terms of cleaning and maintenance. Most guys will clean the barrel really well because it is so accessible and then just kinda surface clean the action of powder and then lube it up resulting in essentially coagulated oil/powder surrounding the firing pin. It has to be thoroughly cleaned and I do not use regular oil on my H&Rs I use LPS Dry Lube because it kinda goes on "wet" and dries to a film that does not attract dirt (or powder).

OK that is that. Now on to the ammo which when it comes to that Remington poop, the primer is set too deep. I have seen enough of this with all types of shotguns.

Lay a straight edge over a few different brands of slugs and see which have either the primers set deeply of the entire brass appearing concave. Check the slugs before loading them.

If you or anyone else with an USH want some advice here it is. Disassemble the ejector and block hone both sides a bit to a nicer finish than they have from the factory. The honing can be accomplished in minutes. Clean everything up real well and reassemble. You may or may not want to add a spacer BB under the spring to give it some more pop upon ejection.

Should you want to reload quickly sometime and that shell doesn't eject.......