HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Frustration, need some advice!
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2011, 06:04 PM
hardwoodhank
Spike

Default Frustration, need some advice!

Here is the deal,

Year #3 of seeing blatant signs of a nice buck. Same spot, same rubs, and this year I decided I was going to put one of my cameras right in the middle of his rubs. This year he has 11 rubs in his rubline and a scrape that is worked no less than 4-5 times a week. I have a stand set up on the rub line, and spent countless hours, from 5am and evening hunts with no sign of him...until

Now my issue is to get him out during daylight. I have gotten in early enough to bump him and even see his eyes from my headlamp but never during legal hunting hours. When I bumped him he didnt wind me so he didnt bolt very far. As a matter of fact it was less than 75 yards before he stopped...right at a creek bottom in the middle of a saddle with steep slopes on each side full of cedars and briars. Im going in tomorow from the opposite side since the wind will be my friend while stalking from the backside of where I have seen him the last 2 mornings.

My question: Is this too risky and would it be wiser to use climber and come in about 75 yrds from where he is and try and rattle or grunt him in to me...as his escape route that I have found goes right in a perfect set of poplars to climb. If I get in by 5am and get up well before daylight I believe this is my best chance because he wont go the opposite way since there is my truck and open field.

The rut is so whacked right now. I cant even tell since in every season before I have already had a big necked smelly buck down that comes in on a string with some rattling and grunts. At this point it just seems like they arent reacting like a typical rut.

My next question, with his right beam, how it crab-claws, can anyone tell if this is the same buck or a rival mesing with his rubs and scrapes?

Im going nuts because now that the bordering land is owned by a dog club, the dogs may force him out and end up getting taken out by someone who has no clue as to the time and effort of going after him.

How do you get this kind of smart buck to do something stupid to show his arse in the daylight? Any tips?