HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Official Team - BUCK U - Thread (team 3)
View Single Post
Old 11-24-2011, 04:52 PM
BetterBirddogs
Fork Horn

Checking in to make sure everyone ate enough on turkey day. If you didn't I ate your share no worries.

First things first. I took the girlfriend out a couple of days ago and we got into the stand late. She wasn't feeling well so we got in about 1030. I hit the grunt call a couple of times and could see a deer coming to use from down the hedgerow. I could tell he was a buck not how big at that point. Well he hops the fence and when he stepped out fellas I almost **** myself. This was was a 200" monster that I had never laid eyes on before that moment. He was bristled up and coming right at us. I couldn't believe it guys. I really couldn't. First I had sat in this stand everyday all day for 8 days in a row and never seen this deer and second we had been in the stand for 10 minutes.

So she's ready to hammer this bastard and he is still walking right to us on a string. He turns at about 25 yards out and starts to rub on an evergreen. He then turns to hit another set of rubs about 10 yards to our right. I range him at 28 yards. She's good out to 40 so I figure it's over. She draws back and is following him over to the second set of rubs which is 30 yards from us. She plans to hammer him when he stops there. She's swinging with him and her back elbow hits the tree behind her and causes her to hit her release and she sends an arrow right off his ass that just hits about 6 inches behind him. He keeps right on walking and I can't get him to stop. He walks right back into the hedgerow from where he appeared, hops the fence and walks right back south from where he came. She was sick. Me too. This was one of those deer that you just see once in your life if you're lucky. He had three brows on his right side all over 8 inches. Split brows on his left over 10 inches apiece and 25 inch main beams guys. He looked like one of those deer farm fake freaks. I can still see him in my minds eye.

So here's the funny part (to me). She's so upset she wants to go home. I tell her they are cruising and she will get another chance. Well low and behold here comes her second chance. Its a 160" ten that we have seen before on pics. She wasn't interested in shooting a "small deer" after seeing the swamp monster. We sat until about 130 and she wanted to hit another spot. We haven't been back in there for about 4 days now and that area is just a crazy good funnel. We'll be back after it in the morning.

On another note I had an OK tag so I got to slip down and hunt a buddys farm yesterday. It's an absolute honey hole that is loaded. I saw several bucks and right before dark I had a stud roll in with a big group of does. I was sitting between two cornfields and needed his hot doe to bring him by because nothing I was doing was working. Well just as I got that thought out of my brain here she comes and she motors right by with ole split G2's in hot pursuit. I stopped him at 19 yards and shot him right in the heart. Scores just over 140". Nice big bodied deer. I had a great season. I may get to hunt MO yet this season. It's been great. Stay after em. We have a great chance in this contest.

Here he is. Double split G2's with one broke off or he would have scored closer to 145".