HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Letting Young Kids Kill Deer: Is It Right?
Old 11-22-2011, 10:42 AM
IL-Cornfed
Nontypical Buck

I feel that many of you fail to realize that IF a parent was to push away a kids interest to deer hunt for years by waiting until he was 12 or 13..... the chance to get that youngster into hunting may be lost forever.

I also find it amusing that many of you seem to think that only your own personal views should apply on how kids get to hunt! The people throwing around definitions of what real "hunting" is.... well, it's pathetic! Some of you sound more like children that ANY kid I've ever hunted with!!! Some say that a small child should be subjected to frigid, brutal, uncomfortable conditions because that is "real hunting"? Others say that hunting private land isn't "real hunting".... still others think that using a guide and outfitter to hold you hand is or isn't "real hunting". I think, based on what I've read here,..... THE most important thing for most to do with their kids is keep then AWAY from the simple, shallow and closed minds found here !!!

I can't help but wonder how many of some of the anti-youth hunting attitudes found here aren't simply fueled by jealousy ?!? I mean, honestly, I know that all 3 of my kids have hunted since they were 8 years old and they clearly seem to have a deeper understanding and respect of deer/turkey hunting than many here! I'm also willing to bet that they probably have a better trophy collection than most of the anti's that have replied to this thread as well! LOL!

Here in Illinois, Hunter Education is required so all the kids passed that with perfect scores. Also, each one of my kids were born into and raised in a sporting family where deer and turney hunting is like a religion..... its what we do and who we are! Also, they have been following myself and my father through the woods since they could walk. They also have all experience with both firearms and bows and shoot year round to keep skills sharp. What I'm saying is..... I'm willing to bet that my kids now 11, 12 and 16 have probably logged FAR MORE hours practicing and stand time than the majority of people here! From habitat management projects to food plots.... they have been involved in every aspect..... how many of YOU that throw stones can say the same ?!?

I find it shameful that many here would stand in the way of promoting the sport/tradition that is rapidly dieing! Instead of helping a kid enjoy the outdoors..... push 'em to the TV and give 'em a video game instead seems to be an easier option for you guys! I bet some of you simply think that by keeping the kids out of the woods..... perhaps thats more hunting for you or it might improve your own odds at a deer. Regardless I find many or your arguments and so called "points" to be sad and pathetic, especially coming from grown men!

As someone who has dedicated many, many hours into promoting the sport and at Hunters Education classes trying to get the next generation interested in the outdoors..... I'm embarassed by many of the words I've read in some of these posts.