HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - little debate at an gun shop over 45cal ml
Old 11-21-2011, 05:27 PM
HEAD0001
Nontypical Buck

As stated above the 45 was a very popular caliber back in the 70's. And even into the 80's.

I think the dealers went away from them when the mfrs. started coming out with so many dang accessories. Especially the hundreds of types of projectiles.

It became economically tough for those guys to carry all the accessories.

You need to remember that back in the 70's you either shot a heavy conical or you shot a PRB. There were very few bullets available, and sabots were not around yet(not exactly sure what year they came out). I remember how many black plastic bags of CVA round balls I sold-twenty five to the pack. Alot of the round balls were on blister pack cards.

You had a couple of choices. PRB's, maxi and mini-balls, Ball-et's, and some Hornady heavy bullets.

Things really changed when Hornady brought out the 20 pack of XTP saboted bullets. I would sell those by the 1000's(honestly 1000's). I believe that was the late 80's.

Corey I hope you find exactly what you want. The 45 caliber is alot of fun with a heavy conical. Do you know what the bore dimension is of the rifle you are looking at?? You may be investing in a sizer pretty soon?? I have a bunch of 45 caliber molds. Everywhere from .451 to .458. Watch that bore dimension. Tom.

Last edited by HEAD0001; 11-21-2011 at 05:33 PM.