HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Letting Young Kids Kill Deer: Is It Right?
Old 11-21-2011, 07:36 AM
bhensley
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Thunderchicken217
Sounds to me like your Dad was selfish to me. I have a 13yr old who has killed a dozen deer and gutted everyone of them and helped me to do the butchering. Maybe your Dad didn't have the confidence in you at as young of an age as I did with my son.Anyways I don't think you have any place at all second guessing what someone else does with their kid.
I'll second that! My boy shot his first deer this year at 10 years old. He helped me load it up on the atv, held its legs apart while I gutted it, helped me load it into the truck and was right there next to me while processing it until it was his bedtime (school night). I showed him how it was done and he wanted to be there the whole time. Just cause he wasn't the one with the knife don't mean he shouldn't be able to hunt. When it was time to wash up he had just about as much blood on his hands as I did.

Yes I want him to be able to gut and process his own deer and I'm sure he will very soon but I will always be more than happy to help my kids no matter how old they are.