HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What do you guys do with your bear meat?
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2011, 06:42 AM
DARKSIDE55
Fork Horn

Bear meat is like any other. Some people like it and some don't. I've eaten a lot of bear but I don't have it butchered like I would an elk or moose, etc. I have all my bear meat fixed into summer sausage or pepperettes. The meat is mixed with pork fat by the butcher and both taste excellant. In my opinion bear fat is the worse thing in the world to smell cooking or to eat. You must remove all the fat. That's why it's mixed with pork fat. If you didn't know it was bear when eating the sausage or pepperette, which a lot of my friends didn't, they wolfed it down. Now a lot of them that didn't eat bear meat do just what I do with it.

If you're going to have steaks, chops, whatever made out of it, which is not my choice to do, you've got to get all the fat off it and all the blood out of it. That's why it's much easier with sausage and pepperettes. Of course a lot of people can't eat several hundred pounds of sausage and pepperettes in a year