HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Had a great afternoon with the Irish...
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2011, 06:36 PM
Mite
Typical Buck

I'm glad you're having fun this season. I'm having mix emotions. Yesterday, I got my limit of two birds in about 20 mins. The first bird was in an area which someone's lab stomped over. My dog briefly tracked it before it flushed wild. Got the second soon after - pointed I flushed. So, I walked back to the car and put away the gun and went back to see if anyone was dog-less (also to get my dog more exercise). I stayed away from the fields so as not to bother other hunters and not wanting to flush birds.

Well, I was standing in an area which half a dozen hunters walked through when my dog goes on point on the edge of a half football sized field. I walk over and flush one bird - the other one my dog caught. Ugh. I'm thinking at least she's finding birds where everyone's lab is missing.

Then this afternoon, I'm walking a nearby field when in front of me is a rooster with its eyes half closed. Wounded? I call my dog over and she runs past it! Call her again and she runs towards it but at five feet away, turns left and takes off. She gets to about two feet then the bird flushes, surprising both of us. Just when I'm thinking my dog has a good nose, she pulls a bonehead move like this one.